This coming Friday is Portsmouth’s first Startup Weekend! As such, we feel it important to share a bit more information concerning just what they are, why they are important, and how you can get engaged with the entrepreneurial ecosystem Please take a look:
Techstars Startup Weekends are…
Techstars Startup Weekends are 54-hour events designed to provide superior experiential education for technical and non-technical entrepreneurs. The weekend events are centered on action, innovation, and education.
Beginning with Friday night pitches and continuing through testing, business model development, and basic prototype creation, Startup Weekends culminate in Sunday night demos to a panel of potential investors and local entrepreneurs. Participants are challenged with building functional startups during the event and are able to collaborate with like-minded individuals outside of their daily networks.
Who you’ll meet at Techstars Startup Weekend:
Startup Weekends attendees’ backgrounds are roughly
- 50% technical (developers, coders, designers)
- 50% business (marketing, finance, law).
Why people come to Startup Weekend:
29% of Startup Weekend participants attend an event to network,
20% attend to develop/build a product
13% attend to learn how to create a new venture.
After the conference is over, roughly 80% of attendees plan on continuing to work on their startup after the weekend.
What you’ll get out of the event:
- Education: Startup Weekends are all about learning by doing, whether you’re learning a new skill or a new way of thinking. Don’t just listen to theory, build your own strategy and test it as you go.
- Co-Founder Dating: The people who come to Startup Weekend are serious about learning how to build and launch startups. Create relationships that last long past the weekend.
- Have fun: During the weekend working alongside awesome people who share your ideas. Techstars Startup Weekend is meant to be fun and entertaining so enjoy it.
- Solve local problems with your ideas. Do you think that one of your idea can change your town or have a positive impact in your group of people? Bring your idea notebook with you and start making a positive change in your local community.
- Build Your Network: Techstars Startup Weekend works hard to recruit high quality, driven entrepreneurs- like you!
- Learn New Skills: With a whole weekend dedicated to letting your creative juices flow, Techstars Startup Weekends are perfect opportunities to work on a new platform, learn a new programming language, or give marketing a try. With nothing to lose there’s no reason not to step outside your comfort zone.
- Learn How to Launch a Business (and Actually Do It!): Techstars Startup Weekend is the epitome of Lean Startup Methodology.
- Mentorship: Local tech and startup leaders participate in Techstars Startup Weekends and give feedback to participants. Interact with the movers and shakers in your community.
- Get Access to Valuable Startup Resources: By participating in Techstars Startup Weekend you are given instant access to great products and tools. No one leaves Techstars Startup Weekend empty handed! Click here to learn more about some of the offers our Global Sponsors provide during the event.
- Save Money: Techstars Startup Weekends are affordable (typically $99, only $25 for Demo Day). Your ticket includes seven meals, snacks, and all the coffee you can drink.
Join our community!
Techstars Startup Weekend has hosted events in countries all over the world. For local support, Portsmouth’s own newly launched Kricker Innovation Hub is a landmark facility that promotes entrepreneurship, innovation, and creativity in the region. Both SSU and LIGHTS offers support and services for entrepreneurs, inventors, and local business, in and around Kricker and the area.